Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
While we impatiently wait for Breaking Dawn part 2 to be released, we continue with our highly-popular Community Re-Read!
- Every Tuesday & Friday, I’ll post a breakdown for each chapter in the book, counting down the days until the official release of the film on November 16th. Let’s get started, dig out your copy of Breaking Dawn, read the chapters together with us, and discuss anything you may find of interest that you might have missed the first or twentieth time around. Let’s continue our journey into FOREVER.
Chapter 25: Favor
- “Charlie couldn’t know about me! About vampires! That would put him on a hit list that even the Cullens couldn’t save him from.”
I’d nearly forgotten this is the chapter that we meet Charlie! Poor Chief Swan has been in the dark ever since this whole mess has gone down. And now even more secrets, lies and half truths are revealed, let’s go!
- Edward and Bella have just spent their first night in their new home. The next morning Edward reminds Bella that they have a newborn daughter that would need tending to lol. After the fiasco of Bella picking out something to wear, the pair head on up to the main house. They arrive and Renesmee has dismembered one of Esme’s fine silver spoons! Nessie spots Bells and demands her mother. The vibe is quite weird as Rosalie is even more annoyed with Jacob than usual. Bella while enjoying her baby also wonders exactly what is going on and where are Jacob and his entire pack. The Cullen’s begin discussing their big move. Rosalie actually begins the discussion. Emmett chimes in and announces that they should head to New Hampshire and set up shop there since Bella is already enrolled in school.
- Jacob returns and all hell breaks loose at the Cullen compound. Before any of us could respond, Alice was on her feet. “What is he doing? I can’t see anything!” And then Edward’s hands balled up into fists and he snarled, “He talked to Charlie. He thinks Charlie is following after him. Coming here. Today.” “He told Charlie?” I gasped. “How could he do that? No!” Edward spoke through his teeth. “Jacob’s on his way in now.” “Hey guys,” he greeted us, grinning. It was perfectly silent. Leah and Seth slipped in behind him, in their human forms-for now. “Charlie’ll be here soon,” Jacob said to me casually. “Just a heads-up. I assume Alice is getting you sunglasses or something?” “You assume way too much. What. Have. You. Done.” “Blondie and Emmett woke me up this morning going on and on about you all moving cross-country. Like I could let you leave. Charlie was the biggest issue there, right? Well, problem solved.” “Do you even realize what you’ve done? The danger you’ve put him in?” He snorted “I didn’t put him in any danger. Except from you. But you’ve got some kind of supernatural self-control, right?” Edward moved then, darting across the room to get in Jacob’s face. “That’s just a theory, mongrel. You think we should test it out on Charlie? Did you consider the physical pain you’re putting Bella through, even if she can resist? Or the emotional pain if she doesn’t? I suppose what happens to Bella no longer concerns you!” He spit the last word. His mouth dropped into a frown. “Bella will be in pain?” “Like you’ve shoved a white-hot branding iron down her throat!” “I didn’t know that,” Jacob whispered. “Then perhaps you should have asked first.” “This isn’t about me,” I interrupted. “This is about Charlie, Jacob. Do you realize its death or vampire life for him now, too?” “Relax, Bella. I didn’t tell him anything you weren’t planning to tell him.” *Sidebar- I can’t go any further. Do you all see my issue with Jacob? He is too extra. He needs to mind his business because this is not cool. Again it’s my opinion, but he is just always…around, it irks me. Anyway let’s continue.
- “He phased in front of Charlie,” Edward hissed. I whispered. “You what?” “He’s brave. Brave as you are. Didn’t pass out or throw up or anything. I was impressed. You should’ve seen his face when I started taking my clothes off, though. Priceless.” Jacob chortled. “You absolute moron! You could’ve given him a heart attack!” “Charlie’s fine. He’s tough. If you’d give him this just a minute, you’ll see that I did you a favor here.” Jacob flopped into the nearest chair. “So I knocked on Charlie’s door this morning and asked him to come for a walk with me. I told him you weren’t sick anymore, and that things were a little weird, but good. He was about to take off to see you, but I told him I had to show him something first. And then I phased. Lemme see…I phased back and got dressed, and then after he started breathing again, I said something like Charlie you don’t live in the world you thought you lived in. The good news is, nothing has changed-except now you know. Life’ll go on the same way it has. You can go back to pretending that you don’t believe any of this. He wanted to know what was really going on with you, with the whole rare-disease thing. I told him that you had been sick, but you were fine now-it was just that you’d had to change a little bit in the process of getting better. He wanted to know what I meant by change and I told him that you looked a lot more like Esme now than you looked like Renee.” *Sidebar-LMAO!!! Ok, ok I said the kid annoyed me, I never said that he wasn’t funny! Edward hissed while I stared in horror. “I started to tell him more of werewolves, but I didn’t even get the whole word out-Charlie cut me off and said he’d rather not know the specifics. Then asked if you’d known what you were getting yourself into when you married Edward, and said, ‘Sure, she’s known all about this for years, since she first came to Forks’. After he got calmed down, he just wanted two things. He wanted to see you, and I said it would be better if he gave me a head start to explain.” Jacob smiled. “You’ll like this. His main request is that he be told as little as possible about all of this. Need to know only.” I felt relief for the first time since Jacob had walked in. “I can handle that part. What did you tell him about Renesmee?” “Oh yeah. So I told him that you and Edward had inherited a new little mouth to feed. She’s your orphaned ward. Charlie was way past being shocked at this point, but he did ask if you were adopting her. ‘Like a daughter? Like I’m sort of a grandfather?’ were his exact words. I told him yes. ‘Congrats Gramps,’ and all of that. He even smiled a little.” *Jake continues to let the Cullens in on all the events that happened at the Swan residence. He even explained how special Renesmee was, and that if Charlie could accept the new Bella, mystery special orphan and all…that they would all stick around. Which was not his promise to keep.
- The moment has come! This chapter ends with the Forks, Washington Chief of Police Charlie Swan entering the vampire den. But not before Bella gets a crash course on how to look and act human. Did I mention this is a mess? Alice held out her hand. There was a small white box on her palm. “These will irritate your eyes-they won’t hurt, but they will cloud your vision. It’s annoying. They also won’t match your old color, but it’s still better than bright red, right?” She flipped the contact box in the air and I caught it. I nodded and opened the container. I took the little brown quarter-shaped sphere and pressed it, concave side in, to my eye. “How do I look?” Edward smiled. “Gorgeous. Of course-“ “Esme give her a few pointers on acting human while I stock the powder room with contacts.” “How long do I have?” “Charlie will be here in five minutes. Keep it simple.” Esme nodded once and came to take my hand. “The main thing is not to sit too still or move too fast,” she told me. “Sit down if he does,” Emmett interjected. “Humans don’t like to just stand there. “Let your eyes wander every thirty seconds or so,” Jasper added. “Cross your legs for about five minutes, then switch to crossing your ankles for the next five,” Rosalie added. “And blink at least three times a minute.” Emmett said. “Move your hands, too. Brush your hair or pretend to scratch something,” Jasper said. “Sit, look around, blink, fidget.” “Right.” Esme approved. Edward took a seat beside me and put his arms around Renesmee and me. The car pulled in front of the house and idled for a few seconds. Then the engine cut off, and a door slammed. Knock, knock, knock. Carlisle answered the door. “Hello, Charlie.” “Carlisle,” Charlie greeted him stiffly. “Where, Bella?” “Right here, Dad.” Ugh! My voice was so wrong. Charlie’s blank expression told me how off my voice was. His eyes zeroed in on me and widened. I read the emotions as they scrolled across his face. Shock. Disbelief. Pain. Loss. Fear. Anger. Suspicion. More pain. “Is that you, Bella?” he whispered. “Yep. Hi, Dad.” He darted an accusing glare at Edward, and then his eyes flickered back to me. “Bella?” he asked again. “It’s really me.” “Are you okay?” he demanded. “Really and truly great. Healthy as a horse.” “Jake told me this was…necessary. That you were dying.” “Jacob was telling you the truth.” Charlie saw my anxious glance down and followed it. “Oh. This is her. The orphan Jacob said you’re adopting.” “My niece,” Edward lied smoothly. Renesmee peeked out from under my hair, sniffing again. She glanced shyly at Charlie from under her long lashes, then hid again. “She’s…she’s well, she’s a beauty.” “Yes,” Edward agreed. “Kind of a big responsibility though. You two are just getting started.” “What else could we do?” Edward brushed his fingers lightly over her cheek. “Would you have refused her?” “Hmph. Well. Jake says you call her Nessie?” “No, we don’t. Her name is Renesmee.” Charlie refocused on me. “How do you feel about this? Maybe Carlisle and Esme could-“ “She’s mine. I want her.” Charlie frowned. “You gonna make me a grandpa so young?” Edward smiled. “Carlisle is a grandfather, too.” Charlie snorted and then laughed. “I guess that does sort of make me feel better. She sure is something to look at.” Renesmee leaned toward the smell, shaking off my hair and looking him full in the face for the first time. Charlie gasped. I knew what he was seeing. My eyes- his eyes-copied exactly into her perfect face. “Need to know, Charlie. It’s okay. I promise.” Charlie swallowed and nodded. And then his eyes blazed as he took a step close to Edward with his fists tightly clenched. “I don’t want to know everything, but I’m done with the lies!” “I’m sorry,” Edward said calmly. “It’s to protect Bella and Renesmee as well as the rest of us. Can you go along with the lies for them?” Charlie huffed once and then turned his glare on me. “You might’ve given me some warning, kid.” “Would it really have made this any easier?” “Whoa,” Charlie gasped his eyes on her perfect teeth. “How old is she?” “Um…” “Three months.” Edward said. “She’s younger in some ways, more mature in others.” Very deliberately, Renesmee waved at him. Jacob elbowed him. “Told you she was special. didn’t I? Everything’s going to be great, Charlie. Just try not to believe everything you see.” “Woo” Emmett suddenly boomed in his deep bass. Go Gators!” Charlie recovered, then looked at Emmett over his shoulder, “Florida winning?” “Just scored the first touchdown. Bout time somebody scored around here.” I fought back a hiss. In front of Charlie? That was over the line. But Charlie was beyond noticing innuendos. He lurched to his feet, stepped around Jacob, and half-fell into an open chair. ”Well,” he sighed, “I guess we should see if they can hold on to the lead.”