- "She can show people her thoughts by touching their skin."
- ―Entry on Renesmee's gift[src]
Tactile thought projection is Renesmee Cullen's gift to place her thoughts and memories into another person's mind. Aside from this gift she also has the power of shield penetration, which allows her to penetrate Bella Swan's mentally defensive power.
This power allows the user to project his or her thoughts into another person's mind in the form of vivid pictures, thoughts and feelings, through physical contact. It works most effectively in communicating with others when words are not suited to the purpose.
The images projected into the target's mind are transparent, but incredibly vivid.
One can also "hack" the user's power to access his/her dreams by placing his or her hand on their faces―as shown when Renesmee fell asleep and Bella "peeped" in on her dreams.
This power is very similar to Aro's tactile telepathy, given they both need to have physical contact to activate their powers. Unlike most other mind-based powers, this power cannot be blocked by Bella's shield due to Renesmee's second ability to penetrate shields.
Renesmee's thought projection behaves as the opposite of Edward Cullen's power of telepathy: while Edward can read the thoughts of others from a distance, she can project her thoughts into others by physical contact. Also, her mother Bella keeps everyone out of her mind while no one can keep her out.
- "I was gasping, stunned and frightened by the strange, alarming image that filled my mind. It felt like a very strong memory - I could still see through my eyes while I watched it in my head - but it was completely unfamiliar."
- ―Bella's experience of Renesmee's communicative power.[src]
Renesmee first uses her power on Bella to show her her first memory of Bella, as well as the only memory of her as a human. She mainly uses this power to communicate with others, since words are harder to describe her feelings and thoughts. However, she is restricted from using this power on Charlie, knowing that it would be better to act more normal.
When the Volturi is closing in on them, the Cullens ally Renesmee to touch their allies to show them their story.
- Aro can read every thought a person has ever had by touching them. Like Renesmee, he has to touch the subject for his power to work.
- Kate can induce an psychically electrical jolt into others. Again like Renesmee, she has to touch the target for her power to work.