- "So far, no one has been able to block her talent."
- ―Entry on Renesmee's gift[src]
Shield penetration is Renesmee Cullen's theorized ability to destroy or penetrate a mental shield. Aside from this gift, she also shows the power of tactile thought projection, which she can use to show people her thoughts and memories, with this power to break through their mental defenses.
Renesmee can use this power through tactile thought projection to place her thoughts into their minds without their defenses hindering her.
It is not yet known if her penetration works only on Bella's shield, or any other like that of Renata, a high-ranking member of the Volturi, and Aro's personal guard. It is, however, believed that she can communicate with anybody she touches without their mental defenses keeping her at bay. It is also unknown if her power operates by penetrating the shield, sidestepping it or neutralizing it completely.
This power works via physical contact with a target. It is unknown whether she is able to break through repelling shields like Renata's. However, its effect may be more limited than her thought projection due to Bella being human when she passed it on to Renesmee. Edward commented that if Renesmee could penetrate Bella's shield, it was unlikely that any other shield could keep her out.
It is also possible that this ability is something that she only displays with her mother and doesn't work on anybody like her projection ability.
- "You keep everyone out."
"And no one keeps her out?"
- ―Bella and Edward on Renesmee's second gift[src]
Renesmee's gift of shield penetration is described as being the opposite of her mother's power, much like how her other gift of tactile thought projection is thought to be the opposite of her father's. There are indications that she can consciously control both her gifts.
Elements of this power have been thought to be inherited from Charlie Swan, who has a shielding ability mental similar to Bella's, though much less powerful than Bella's.
- "Maybe she took your talent and flipped it, too."
- ―Edward's theory of Renesmee's ability to penetrate Bella's shield.[src]
Renesmee proves to be the first being with a psychic power strong enough to pass through Bella's mental shield when she shows Bella her first memory she has of her—as a human.
After Bella realized her ability to block psychic powers, Edward shares his theory that Renesmee may have inherited Bella's power and uses it in opposite ways, just like she had inherited his.
- Aro's power of tactile telepathy requires physical contact to be able to access a person's mind and read every thought he has ever had, similar to Renesmee's need to touch a person to communicate with them.
- Mele's gift of power transferal requires physical contact for her to absorb and transmit another individual's supernatural talent.