Robert Douglas Thomas Pattinson
May 13, 1986; in London, U.K.
|In Twilight saga|
Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Robert Thomas Pattinson (born May 13, 1986) is the British actor who portrays Edward Cullen in all the movie adaptations of the Twilight Saga. Prior to his lead role in the Twilight Saga films, he was known for his role as Cedric Diggory in the film Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
Summit Entertainment announced on December 11, 2007 that they had cast Pattinson in the role of Edward Cullen. On her website, Stephenie Meyer endorsed the choice, saying, "I am ecstatic with Summit's choice for Edward. There are very few actors who can look both dangerous and beautiful at the same time, and even fewer who I can picture in my head as Edward. Robert Pattinson is going to be amazing."
According to Pattinson, he had little knowledge of the books when he auditioned. He says, "I went into it thinking it was a vampire film directed by Catherine Hardwicke, who does like gritty sort of realistic indie films. If you're doing a vampire fantasy shot like Thirteen, then that would be interesting. That's why I went into it really, and it ended up being something totally and utterly different." He says that he came to hate the "perfect" character of Edward, and so he decided to play him as a manic-depressive who hates himself. He also claims he felt voyeuristic while reading the novels, as if he were peeping in on the author's fantasies. He notes, "I was just convinced that this woman is mad, she's completely mad, and she's in love with her own fictional creation."Pattinson plays the piano during one scene in the movie. During the original takes, the actor played his own improvisations; the scene was later re-shot with him playing the "Bella's Lullaby" composed by soundtrack writer Carter Burwell for the film. Two of his original songs, written before Twilight was made, appear on the soundtrack album.
The actor admits that he is not athletic, and did not enjoy filming the baseball game. He also had difficulty putting in contact lenses to change the color of his eyes.
Robert Pattinson was born on May 13, 1986 (Taurus) in London, England. Besides acting, his interests include reading, playing guitar and keyboard. He composes his own music and enjoys live performances. He has said that he misses being able to perform live at open mic nights now that he is readily recognized as "Edward", but he did not like having videos of his performances appear on YouTube.
He has stated in multiple interviews for the Twilight Saga that he is currently single. Since then, he has been reluctant to answer questions relating to his relationship with co-star Kristen Stewart.
In school he wanted to be a political speechwriter, before deciding to try acting instead. He denies using any hair products to get his hair to stand on end, saying that "I'm just always grabbing my hair and stuff."
He received a Hollywood Award at the Hollywood Film Festival Awards on October 29, 2008. Pattinson claims that he never watches himself in movies, "because it makes me feel like I'll never want to do a job again."
Pattinson plays the guitar and piano, and composes his own music. He also appears as the singer of two songs on the Twilight soundtrack: "Never Think", which he co-wrote with Sam Bradley, and "Let Me Sign", which was written by Marcus Foster and Bobby Long. The songs were included in the film after director Catherine Hardwicke added Pattinson's recordings into an early cut without his knowledge, and he agreed that "one of them specifically, it really made the scene better. It was like it was supposed to be there." The soundtrack for the film How to Be features three original songs performed by Pattinson and written by composer Joe Hastings.
Aside from recording for the soundtracks, Pattinson has said, "I've never really recorded anything – I just played in pubs and stuff", and when asked about a professional music career, he said, "Music is my back-up plan if acting fails." In 2010, Pattinson was awarded the "Hollywood's Most Influential Top Unexpected Musicians" award.
In the Media
Pattinson was named one of the "Sexiest Men Alive" in 2008 and 2009 by People magazine. In 2009, he was also named the "Sexiest Man Alive" by Glamour. Ask Men named Pattinson as one of the top 49 most influential men of 2009. In 2009, Vanity Fair named Pattinson "the most handsome man in the world" along with Angelina Jolie as the most beautiful woman in the world. He was named one of Vanity Fair's "Top Hollywood Earners of 2009" with estimated earnings of $18 million in 2009.
In December 2009, Pattinson autographed a guitar to be auctioned off for charity.
Hope for Haiti Now:'
A Global Benefit for Earthquake Relief in January 2010. GQ and Glamour both named him the "Best Dressed Man" of 2010, with GQ stating, "Extremely elegant and inspiring, the true essence of a contemporary man." In 2010, People also listed Pattinson in their "World's Most Beautiful" issue. In 2010, Pattinson politely turned down a $2 million fashion campaign with Burberry.
Britain's The Sunday Times "Rich List" put him on its "list of young millionaires" in the UK, worth £13 million. Time magazine named him as one of 2010's 100 Most Influential People in The World.In June 2010, Pattinson was named by Forbes magazine the 50th most powerful celebrity in the world with earnings $17 million. Due to Pattinson's rising fame, a wax statue of him was added to the Madame Tussauds collection in London and New York City. On 14 November 2010, Pattinson received two BBC Radio 1 Teen Awards, Best Dressed and Best Actor. In 2011, Pattinson was 15th on Vanity Fair's "Hollywood Top 40" with earnings of $27.5 million in 2010. GQ once again named Pattinson the "Best Dressed Man" of 2012. In October 2012, Pattinson was named "Sexiest Man Alive" by Glamour UK.
Pattinson has two sisters; the youngest, Lizzy, is twenty-five years old and had a top ten hit with the punk band Aurora. The other, Victoria, is twenty-seven and works in advertising. His parents, Richard and Clare Pattinson, currently live in Richmond.
"Up until I was twelve my sisters used to dress me up as a girl and introduce me as 'Claudia'. Twelve was the turning point as I moved to a mixed school and then became cool and discovered hair gel." - Robert Pattinson.
|2004||Vanity Fair||Older Rawdy Crawley|
|Ring of the Nibelungs||Gisellher|
|2005||Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire||Cedric Diggory|
|2006||The Haunted Airman||Toby Jugg|
|2007||The Bad Mother's Handbook||Daniel Gale|
|Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix||Cedric Diggory||flashback only|
|2008||How to Be||Art|
|The Summer House||Richard|
|2009||Little Ashes||Salvador Dalí|
|The Twilight Saga: New Moon||Edward Cullen|
|2010||Remember Me||Tyler Hawkins|
|The Twilight Saga: Eclipse||Edward Cullen|
|2011||Bel Ami||Georges Duroy|
|Water for Elephants||Jacob Jankowski|
|The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1||Edward Cullen|
|2012||The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2||Edward Cullen|
|2013||Mission Blacklist||Eric Maddox|
|Queen of the Desert||Co. T.E Lawernce|
- Pattinson's favorite book from the Twilight Saga is New Moon.
- He is an excellent musician and plays both the guitar and piano. He began taking piano lessons at age three, and classical guitar at five.
- He beat 3,000 people to play Edward Cullen in the movie Twilight.
- He was announced as the Worlds Sexiest Man of 2012 and in which is the second time around for him to be awarded this title.
- In December 2009, Pattinson autographed a guitar to be auctioned off for charity.
- He also volunteered for the Hope for Haiti Now: A Global Benefit for Earthquake Relief in January 2010.
- Time magazine named him as one of 2010's 100 Most Influential People in The World.
- Due to Pattinson's rising fame, a wax statue of him was added to the Madame Tussauds collection in London and New York City.
- GQ once again named Pattinson the "Best Dressed Man" of 2012.
- Twilight: $2,000,000
- New Moon: $12,000,000
- Breaking Dawn - Part 1: $12,500,000 + 7.5% of the gross
- Breaking Dawn - Part 2: $12,500,000 + 7.5% of the gross
- ↑ Twilight Movie at stepheniemeyer.com
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 'Twilight Countdown: Robert Pattinson answers your questions' Denise Martin, Nov. 5, 2008
- ↑ 'Twilight Makes for the Best Fanwank ever'
- ↑ 'Twilight' reshoots: Why is Catherine Hardwicke filming again? Nicole Sperling, The Hollywood Insider, Aug 29, 2008
- ↑ 'Twilight' Countdown: Catherine Hardwicke says original script was more like 'Charlie's Angels' Denise Martin, latimesblog, November 6, 2008
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 'Twilight' Countdown: What you didn't know about Robert Pattinson Denise Martin, latimesblogs, November 9, 2008
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 'Twilight' countdown: Robert Pattinson answers even more of your questions Denise Martin, latimesblogs, November 7, 2008
- ↑ 'Twilight' hunk Robert Pattinson is starting to scare us! Elizabeth Snead, latimesblogs, October 28, 2008
- ↑ http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/robert-pattinson-voted-sexiest-in-glamours-1352663 By Mirror.com in 2012 just a few weeks ago
- ↑ http://www.gossipcop.com/perez-strikes-bad-chord-with-Robert-pattinson-guitar-story/
- ↑ http://newsroom.mtv.com/2010/01/22/hope-for-haiti-live-blog
- ↑ http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1984685_1984940_1984948,00.html#ixzz0mUOIhqVr
- ↑ http://www.madametussauds.com/London/NewsAndEvents/RobertPattinsonAnnounce/ Which was released later that year
- ↑ http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/style/articles/2012-03/02/best-dressed-men-voting-results/viewgallery/#ContentTop Which he was awarded with a Photo shot for the Magazine