Humans are the basic species in the Twilight series, from which vampires, shape-shifters, and werewolves originate. Lacking supernatural enhancements, they are considered prey by most vampires, who need their blood for sustenance.
Human beings have roamed Earth for as early as time itself. In the past, everyone was aware of the existence of vampires and werewolves. However, after the Volturi established the laws that prohibited vampires from exposing themselves to humans, the knowledge slowly faded to fiction and myths. Humans who discover the existence of vampires are considered a threat, and a Volturi-enforced law has been implemented dictating that said humans either be killed or changed into vampires, causing Jane, Alec, Demetri and Felix to be sent to Forks in Eclipse. It is also illegal to create immortal children, that is to turn human children into vampires, because they always lack concentration and self-control, and are therefore un-trainable and dangerous.
A human who is to be changed into a vampire needs just to be bitten once, to allow venom to enter their bloodstream. If blood is consumed by the vampire during this time, it is highly unlikely that he will resist the temptation to kill the human before completion of the transformation. The pain accompanying the transformation is described as the worst possible by all those transformed into vampires, and in Breaking Dawn, it is described as a burning feeling by Bella. A human, however, can also be changed into a werewolf by being bitten by one, but it remains unknown whether the conversion is painless.
Despite lacking the physical qualities that could protect them from vampires, certain humans can also be supernaturally gifted. For example, one could learn or adapt to a particularly useful skill that gives him or her an advantage in a needed situation, such as sensing and evading danger, or being sensitive to the minds of others. If a gifted human converts into a vampire, their gift will become enhanced also, making it more powerful than its human version.
Notable Humans in the Twilight Saga
- Bella Swan: became a vampire in Breaking Dawn.
- Charlie Swan
- Harry Clearwater (deceased)
- Sue Clearwater
- Billy Black
- Jacob Black: became a shape-shifter in New Moon.
- Leah Clearwater: became a shape-shifter in New Moon.
- Seth Clearwater: became a shape-shifter in New Moon.
- Embry Call: became a shape-shifter in New Moon.
- Quil Ateara V: became a shape-shifter before Eclipse.
- Brady Fuller: became a shape-shifter before Eclipse.
- Collin Littlesea: became a shape-shifter before Eclipse.
- Riley Biers: became a vampire before Eclipse (deceased).
- Bree Tanner: became a vampire before Eclipse (deceased).
- Diego: became a vampire before The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (deceased).
- Fred: became a vampire before The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner.
- Renée Dwyer
- Phil Dwyer
- Marie Higginbotham (deceased)
- Mike Newton
- Jessica Stanley
- Angela Weber
- Eric Yorkie
- Ben Cheney
- Gianna (deceased)
According to Aro, the human race has weapons that could destroy vampires, but little chance to use them, given the latters' strength and speed, and the fact that their existence is considered mythical. The situation, however, worries him.