This set of main page <tags/> allows for easier main page design and is the recommended method of creating layouts for main pages.
Using the following tags, you can create a main page that will work with Wikia ads and will be compatible with any future changes Wikia may need to make to the main page layouts.
<mainpage-leftcolumn-start /> content in the left column <mainpage-endcolumn /> <mainpage-rightcolumn-start /> content in the right column <mainpage-endcolumn />
How to use the tags
The "leftcolumn" tag starts the fluid width left column, and comes first:
The left column is ended by:
Next, the following starts a 300px wide right column:
The right column is also ended by:
After the end of the right column tag you can place anything you wish, and make them 100% page width - However, note that is recommended against, especially on shorter pages. You will need to add the following to ensure it appears below the columns:
This demo wikia's main page is set up to display this article and some placeholder content, to illustrate how the tags can be used:
The source code used to create the demo wikia's main page can be found at Help:Main page column tags/source.
The main page tags in action on other wikis:
- Help:Main page
- Help:Galleries, Slideshows, and Sliders to add cool images to your main page
- Help:Templates to create templates for things like "image of the day"
Further help and feedback
- Browse and search other help pages at Help:Contents
- Check Help:Wikia Community Central for sources of further help and support
- Check Help:Contacting Wikia for how to report any errors or unclear steps in this article
- Learn how to use Wikia in Wikia University: short how-to videos for all levels of experience