Anna Kendrick (born on August 9, 1985 in Portland, Maine) appers in Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn - Part 1 as Jessica Stanley. She also starred in the 1998 film High Society, the 2003 film Camp, and the 2007 film Rocketship. Kendrick also starred in the award-winning movie Up in the Air, playing Natalie, and in "Pitch Perfect", playing Becca.
CareerKendrick claims to have "caught the acting bug" at the age of 10, when her parents would drive her from her hometown of Portland, Maine to New York City so that she could attend auditions. Her first appearance was the role of Dinah in the Broadway musical High Society in August 1998, at age 12, which earned her Theatre World Award, Drama Desk Award, and Tony Award nominations, the latter of which made her the third-youngest nominee ever after 10-year-old Frankie Michaels and 11-year-old Daisy Eagan, who both went on to win.
Afterward, she was featured in a number of other theater productions, including the musical A Little Night Music, before making her film debut in the 2003 musical comedy Camp, for which she was nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Chlotrudis Award and Best Debut Performance Independent Spirit Award for her portrayal of the character Fritzi Wagner.
In 2007 she appeared in the film Rocket Science, in which she portrayed Ginny Ryerson, a fast-talking high school debater. Although she says she found the role intimidating and challenging after watching an actual national collegiate championship debate, her performance was praised by critics and she was nominated for a 2007 Independent Spirit Award for Best Supporting Actress.
In late 2007, she auditioned for the role of Jessica Stanley in Twilight. She had intended to do a mix-and-match audition with various actors, but was too ill and had to leave; she was, however, brought in for a later session where she was given the role. Screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg said that the characters Jessica Stanley and Lauren Mallory from the book were combined to create the role. Kendrick reprised her role as Jessica in the Twilight sequel New Moon, and also appeared in 2010's Eclipse.
She is featured in the film Elsewhere, scheduled for 2009, in which she plays her first lead character, a girl whose best friend goes missing, and in director Jason Reitman's film Up in the Air, based on Walter Kirn's 2001 novel of the same name, alongside George Clooney. She played the character of Stacey Pilgrim in Edgar Wright's adaptation of the graphic novel Scott Pilgrim, titled Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.
Kendrick and her older brother, actor Michael Cooke Kendrick, who appeared in the 2000 film Looking for an Echo, attended Deering High School in Portland, Maine. She lists Parker Posey, Molly Shannon, and Amy Poehler as her inspirations.
|2003||The Mayor||Sadie Winterhalter|
|2007||Rocket Science||Ginny Ryerson|
|The Marc Pease Experience||Meg Brickman|
|The Twilight Saga: New Moon||Jessica Stanley|
|Up in the Air||Natalie Keener|
|Scott Pilgrim vs. the World||Stacey Pilgrim|
|50/50||Katherine "Katie" McKay|
|End of Watch||Janet|
|The Company You Keep||Diana|
|1998||Tony Awards||Best Featured Actress in a Musical||Nominated||High Society|
|Drama Desk Awards||Outstanding Featured Actress in a Musical||Nominated|
|Theatre World Awards||Won|
|2004||Chlotrudis Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated||Fritzi Wagner in Camp|
|Independent Spirit Awards||Best Debut Performance||Nominated|
|2008||Best Supporting Female||Nominated||Ginny Ryerson in Rocket Science|
|2009||Chicago Film Critics Association Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated||Natalie Keener in Up in the Air|
|National Board of Review of Motion Pictures||Best Supporting Actress||Won|
|Satellite Awards||Best Actress in a Supporting Role||Nominated|
|Toronto Film Critics Association||Best Supporting Actress||Won|
|Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association Awards||Best Breakthrough Performance||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
|2010||Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
|Golden Globe Awards||Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture||Nominated|
|Online Film Critics Society Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
|People's Choice Awards||Favorite Breakthrough Movie Actress||Nominated|
|Screen Actors Guild Awards||Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role||Nominated||Natalia Keener in Up in the Air|
|Academy Award (Oscar)||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Larry Carroll (21 October 2008). 'Twilight' Tuesday: Anna Kendrick Says It Was 'Easy To Get Googly Eyed' At Robert Pattinson. MTV. Retrieved on 2008-11-01.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Justin Chang (19 October 2007). 10 Actors to Watch: Anna Kendrick. Variety. Retrieved on 2008-04-05.
- ↑ O'Neil, Tom. "'Billy Elliot' boys share record-breaking lead actor Tony Award win", "Gold Derby" (column), Los Angeles Times, June 7, 2009
- ↑ Blanchett nominated for Spirit Award for Dylan role. ABC News (28 November 2007). Retrieved on 2008-04-05.
- ↑ Larry Carroll (11 March 2008). 'Twilight' Co-Star Anna Kendrick Braces Herself For Buzz Bigger Than 'Harry Potter'. MTV. Retrieved on 2008-04-05.
- ↑ Larry Carroll (2008-09-16). 'Twilight' Tuesday: Screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg Was Inspired By 'Brokeback Mountain'. MTV. Retrieved on 2009-06-09.
- ↑ New Moon Actors arrived in Vancouver. ReelzChannel (2009-04-11). Retrieved on 2009-04-19.
- ↑ Erik Davis (13 April 2007). Ben Stiller Taps Newcomer Anna Kendrick As 'Marc Pease Experience' Co-Star. Cinematical. Retrieved on 2008-04-05.
- ↑ Nicole Sperling (19 November 2008). 'Twilight' scene-stealer Anna Kendrick to costar opposite George Clooney. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on 2008-11-21.
- ↑ Borys Kit (20 January 2009). Chris Evans, Brandon Routh join 'Pilgrim' pic. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved on 2009-01-04.